RE: DOS ATTACK

From: McCammon, Keith (Keith.McCammonat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 13:41:47 PST

    [Let the flame wars begin...]

    Well, first of all, law enforcement typically won't intervene unless it can be demonstrated that 1) the offense has resulted in considerable financial loss, or 2) some other law is being broken (i.e., the transfer of stolen CC numbers or kiddie porn).  Relative to large-scale DDoS attacks and credit card theft, bandwidth loss due to excessive use of the iframe is going to take a long time to amass the numbers required to get someone's attention.

    And secondly, why tie up already over-taxed LE resources, when 1) there is already a commonly-known complaint chain in place to deal with such things (report to technical contact, report to ISP, report to upstream, report to law enforcement), and 2) in the vast majority of cases a simple *technical* fix will correct the *technical* problem faster than anyone in the aforementioned chain could probably respond?

    Just some things to chew on :)

    Cheers

    Keith