Re: anoat_private ftpd dip.t-dialin.net

From: Rainer Duffner (rainer@ultra-secure.de)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 09:02:49 PST

    Ralf G. R. Bergs writes:

    > On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 16:50:13 -0500, Owen McCusker wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >>Has anyone else seen this type of activity from dip.t-dialin.net
    >>or dipsters for short. ;-)?

    t-dialin.net is the domain under which surfers from Deutsche Telekom's
    T-Online service operate (though not exclusively, IIRC).
    t-dialin also includes ADSL-lines, so there are likely to be some
    warez-d00dez behind them.

    > Sure, I see it all day.
    >
    > What they're trying to achieve is determine whether you have an "open"
    > FTP
    > server which allows them to store "warez" and download them again.
    >
    > A simple countermeasure against this is to give files that are uploaded
    > to your "incoming" directory permissions so that anonymous users can't
    > access them anymore. You can even prohibit them from reading the
    > directory's contents so that they don't even see which files are stored
    > inside the directory.

    I haven't checked other platforms, but FreeBSD's ftpd allows for a
    "incoming-only" mode, where people can't get anything from your server.
    If you must have uploads, think about using that.
    As a bonus, you might be able to collect the dropped warez at the end of the
    business day without hassle ;-)

    cheers,
    Rainer
    Rainer Duffner                   Munich