IIS and leech

From: randall perry (randallp@domain-logic.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 11:45:00 PST

    Greets.

    An IIS box I manage freaked out yesterday.  I initially thought that it came under attack but after digging through what was left of the crime scene, it looks like MS is to blame.  The most recent event before the nightmare began was at 7pm the night was the creation of c:\program files\WindowsUpdate\wuaudnld.tmp\.  That tells me that an automagic MS Windows update is what is the root of trashing that ecommerce box that took all day yesterday to recover (after 2 BSODs trashing it to it to the point of not having network connectivity) .

    If that wouldn't have happened, I probably would not have found the following:
    hum.exe which is really leech ftp server was installed on the box and setup as service to start with the box.  I found more than 30 gig of files (movies, MP3s)  were there under
    d:\i386\winnt[some characters]\system32\system32\ and some funny directory names.  The movies were broken into 14meg chunks, but had sample avi files in the directory that showed a short clip of what the movie was.

    I have no idea how this got planted there by who.  (only the office manager and graphics person are the only ones to access the box)

    A port scan of the box showed the following ports open
              |___    21  [ftp]   File Transfer [Control]
    	|___    25  [smtp]   Simple Mail Transfer
    	|___    80  [http]   World Wide Web HTTP
    	|___   135  [epmap]   DCE endpoint resolution
    	|___   389  [ldap]   Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
    	|___   433  [nnsp]   NNSP
    	|___   443  [https]   https  MCom
    	|___   445  [microsoft-ds]   Microsoft-DS
    	|___  1025  [blackjack]   network blackjack
    	|___  1027  [ICQ]   ICQ?

    Although typically network blackjack on port 1025, I can assume that was the leech ftp server controlled through port 1027.  Anyone else see this?

    Randall Perry