RE: anoat_private ftpd dip.t-dialin.net

From: Owen McCusker (mccuskerat_private)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 10:29:27 PST

    Dear Owen,

    The incidents you describe are caused by a popular cracker tool / well-
    known vulnerability scanner called "FX-Scanner". It indeed seems most
    popular in Germany. I was looking for it because I was noticing TCP:57
    attempts for some time now in my (Linux) logs. A long Google search
    directed me to a message submitted by Johannes Ullrich at
    http://isc.incidents.org/show_comment.html?id=28
    and finally to http://www.fx-tools.net

    In fact, the attack pattern of FX-Scanner V.030 beta is as follows:

    (1) One ping (ICMP)

    (2) If port 80 (http) is open, a large number of IIS-hacks. These are
    defined by a file called "unicode.txt" included in the package. This
    file contains 77 plain-text lines intended to exploit well known ISS
    "unicode" vulnerabilities. However, the cracker can modify this file at
    will, so expect some different patterns here.

    (3) Two attempts to TCP:57 (TCP port 57). According to Johannes Ullrich
    the reason to do this is because the port is normally CLOSED.

    (4) Three TCP:21 (ftp) attempts if closed. As said, I don't run ftpd's
    so I don't know what would happen if ftpd runs. However, the fx-scanner
    V.030 beta package includes the following file:

    07/07/02  07:40p               104,154 file.txt
    9a5c9475663ad6dcf53f42446972a7b1 *file.txt

    so probably that file is planted using user-specified or random names;
    contents are binary crap as you describe. The file "scanner.ini" also
    included contains the following lines (among others):

    ftp_Uname=anonymous
    ftp_UPassword=anoat_private
    ftp_Port=21

    I played around with the tool a bit on a WXP testsetup (no network
    cable) while listening on TCP:57 using NETCAT and confirmed that indeed
    fx-scanner connects to the port mentioned. Please note: running such a
    program against a public net is simply NOT DONE and hopefully/probably
    illegal. If you consider (don't) to do just that, note that the tool is
    remotely controllable; it listens to TCP port 4113 and uses the default
    password "fxadmin" (both are variables in the ini file). It may also
    include other, unspecified, backdoors. Although I did not monitor
    behavior using a sniffer, the "Ring_Server=True" line in the ini-file
    suggests that fx-scanner may call home when run (it could also be the
    ping though). The remote control program is included in the package.

    BTW I wouldn't be surprised if the number of German badguys using this
    tool is significantly less than one may think. Blackhats may have found
    ways to install this tool on PC's from innocent (but clueless) T-Online
    dialup/ADSL users (perhaps via KaZaa or whatever), and are controlling
    them remotely. The blackhats may be Germans, but obviously that is not
    necessarily the case. However, I'm purely speculating here.

    Cheers!

    Erik van Straten