RE: Unicode Attack

From: Information Security (InformationSecurityat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 10:27:18 PST

    > 2002-11-12 13:00:37 210.201.100.253 - x.x.x.17 80 GET
    > /scripts/..%5c../..%5c../..%5cwinnt/system32/cmd.exe /c+dir 200 1849 321
    > 31 HTTP/1.1 63.241.137.233
    > Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+5.01;+Windows+NT+5.0) - -

    It's been my experience that the actual URL probably sent to your server was
    /scripts/..%255c../..%255c../..%255cwinnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir.  If you
    type that into your browser, you'll probably have success.

    You would see this entry on any proxy device in front of the web server.
    IIS
    and Snort (IMHO) appropriately run a single URL decode on the request, which
    pretty much follows URI RFC specs, so that's not really a bug.

    Something else that might be interesting to note is the actual signature.
    I've
    seen a number of different signatures for the automated unicode scans, and
    it seems that once an attacker settles on a way in, they keep using the
    same sequence until they've backdoored your system.  So when you unravel
    everything that happened, group your log entries across all your servers
    together by the ones with the "..%5c../..%5c../..%5c" attack string, and
    maybe you'll be able to see how he walked across your environment.

    > This is an IIS 5.0/Win2k Server with SP2 and Latest Hotfixes per
    > HFNETCHECK, which I thought would preclude this server from being
    > vulnerable to a Unicode-type attack.  The only thing that has not been

    I've never understood exactly how hfnetcheck works, but you might want
    to check for things like uninstall/reinstall of IIS and restoration of
    files from backup.  This might leave enough residue to fool hfnetcheck,
    but actually leave your server exposed.