re: Help - a possible bot

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 05:10:47 PST

    > The problem is, I am detecting a suspicious
    hit/respond
    > activity, which, in my opinion, points to an active
    > bot.

    No offense, dude, but you're freaking out over
    nothing.  Based on the information you provided, there
    IS no bot (remember "The Matrix"?  "There is no
    spoon").

    > Here's the evidence: when inspecting ZA logs, you
    can
    > see a blocked scan (coming every couple of minutes,
    > from arbitrary addresses

    The "scans" you're referring to look like NetBIOS name
    scans...queries to UDP port 137.  On normal MS
    networks, these "scans" would originate from UDP port
    137, as well.  So...they MAY be scans of some kind.
    However, the fact that your system is responding would
    be indicative of something else, possibly w/ your ZA
    installation.

    > - I bet they're spoofed

    Well, that's not "evidence", now, is it?  Also, since
    your logs don't show an ICMP port unreachable response
    (your system sent out a UDP datagram), that would
    indicate that, in fact, the source IPs are NOT
    spoofed.

    Also, there's nothing in the netstat and fport outputs
    that you sent that seem to indicate that you have any
    sort of bot or trojan at all.  Is there anything
    besides the traffic you posted that would lead you to
    believe that you had something installed on your
    system?

    HTH