Re: A small quandary

From: gminick (gminickat_private)
Date: Sat Dec 07 2002 - 10:27:40 PST

    On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 08:30:08PM -0800, Mahoney, Paul wrote:
    [...]
    > /scripts..%c1%9c../winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir+c: 1 -
    > /cgi-bin/mrtg.cgi?cfg=/../../../../../../../../../winnt/win.ini 1 -
    > /scripts/.%252e/.%252e/winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir+c:\\
    > My question to everyone out there is would anyone be able to tell me if
    > this kind of attack has the fingerprints of any known software/viruses
    > in the field or is it a deliberate attempt to gain access to my clients
    > site?
    What you're seeing is a work of some vulnerability scanner,
    and it looks like it checks for dozens of possible vulnerabilities
    like directory traversals (i.e: <http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/111677>,
    <http://online.securityfocus.com/bid/1806/exploit/>) and vulnerabilities
    in CGI scripts. Such scanners are doing things as they were blind.
    It isn't important what kind of software you're using, that tool
    probes you as long as one of its methods works against your server.
    If your server answered with http code 404 it means that there's no
    such script of file on your server. What's also important there exists
    attack against windoze boxes and against unix/linux ones.
    If you're running apache on linux all those "/scripts/.%252e/.%252e
    /winnt/system32/cmd.exe?/c+dir+c:\\" can't hurt you.
    If you're interested in exploring those malicious toys take a look at
    <http://www.ussrback.com/files.html>,
    <http://packetstormsecurity.nl/UNIX/cgi-scanners/> and
    <http://www.zone-h.org/en/download/category=3/>.

    --
    [ ] gminick (at) underground.org.pl  http://gminick.linuxsecurity.pl/ [ ]
    [ "Po prostu lubie poranna samotnosc, bo wtedy kawa smakuje najlepiej." ]