Re: netbios vuln

From: KoRe MeLtDoWn (koremeltdownat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 08 2002 - 20:25:03 PST

    To tell you the truth, having had my days as a script kiddie and playing
    with subseven and the like, I have come to the reality that New Zealand
    (where this kid is from) is one of the most wide open countries in the world
    when it comes to hacks and script kiddie behaviour. I remember at one point
    I could scan a certain well established ISP in NZ and pick up 20-30 subseven
    infected machines, with no passwords whatsoever. I contacted this same ISP
    concerning a vulnerability in their SMTP server, however it was never fixed
    and continue to be ignorant to this day. I cannot disclose the ISPs name for
    obvious reasons.
    NetBIOS traffic is a favourite with the kiddies thatI know at school, who
    spend hours every night hacking via netbios onto other machines. The fact
    that there are no laws currently in place makes (imho) little difference -
    just as it hasn't really inpacted the black hat community of the USA,
    Australia or the UK. As NZ law stands it would be very difficult to
    backtrack a "hack" on anyone if the hack was commited before the law was in
    place. It would be a very difficult prosecution, and unless the hack was big
    enough the police would most likely spend their time trying to bust "fresh
    cases".
    I dont know about everyone else, but thats just my 5c

    Thanks

    Hamish Stanaway

    -= KoRe WoRkS =- Internet Security
    Owner/Operator