Re: Spam via proxy

From: Volker Tanger (volker.tangerat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 02:10:46 PST

    Greetings!

    listuser wrote:

    > I work at a cable ISP and lots of our customers have open wingate,
    > squid or socks proxies. These are regularly being used by spammers to
    > send their scum.

    The ancient "Proxy vulnerability" as in
    http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/4131

    This general problem has been known to be an issue with plain HTTP
    proxies like the Squid for ages (e.g.
    http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-10.html#ss10.14).

    > ie if some one can tell me how to replicate this via a telnet session
    > to the relevent port it will be great.

    The vulnerability can be exploited using the CONNECT method to
    connect to a different server, e.g. an internal mailserver as
    port usage is completely unrestricted by the ISVW proxies V 3.6

    Example:
    	you = 6.6.6.666
    	Trendmicro ISVW = 1.1.1.1  (http proxy at port 80)
    	Internal Mailserver = 2.2.2.2

    	connect with "telnet 1.1.1.1 80" to ISVW proxy and enter
    	followed with two linefeeds:
    	CONNECT 2.2.2.2:25 / HTTP/1.0

    	response: mail server banner - and running SMTP session e.g.
    	to send SPAM from.

    You can connect to any TCP port on any machine the proxy
    can connect to. Telnet, SMTP, POP, etc. You can see it in the logs you
    provided as CONNECT (squid), SSL (wingate) methods - all to port 25 (smtp).

    > How these cases are being handled else where. One problem we have
    > faced is that the actual users are clueless about what is going on.
    > Are people blocking squid and socks ports at the border router?

    For squid see above URL. For TrendMicro ISVW see
    http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/302200

    Generally we (advise to) put any proxy into a (separate) DMZ which only
    is accessible via a firewall (the usual 3-leg firewall config) that is
    blocking all but the identified, needed connections.

    Bye

    Volker Tanger
    IT-Security Consulting

    --