RE: DNS help

From: Faron.Goldenat_private
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 13:58:41 PST

    from the man pages of tcpdump:
    src > dst: id  op?  flags  qtype qclass name (len)

    with the narrative explaining that:
    If a query contains an answer, nameserver, or authorative section, ancount,
    nscount, or arcount are printed as [na], [nn], or [nau], where 'n' is the
    appropriate count.
    Applying that to the 12:15:24.020319 DNS.server.com.33795 >
    outside.guy.com.domain:  56162
    > [1au][|domain] (DF) data,
    you have a source > destination:  id of 56162   1 authority section
    domaintype with a Don't Frag flag.  Again, if the SHADOW sensor is
    functioning properly, you should be able to apply tcpdump to the raw data
    and read the HEX output to see exactly what was in the packet.