Re: IRC -> smtp worm?

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Wed Dec 18 2002 - 08:00:37 PST

    > Is anyone aware of some kind of IRC worm that uses
    > SMTP servers to act
    > as a spy client or something like that?

    I'm not sure what you mean by this.  After all, why
    would an IRC worm need SMTP capability?  If the worm
    causes the compromise system to connect to an IRC
    channel, why would SMTP capability be needed?

    > Not that i consider this a serious issue ( from the
    > server side of
    > course ), but I'm curious on what's causing this
    > behaviour.

    If you really are curious as to what is causing this
    behaviour, I would suggest that you go back to your
    IDS and identify the specific systems from which this
    traffic originates, and then investigate those
    systems.    Since you say that this traffic has been
    picked up by your IDS, it's just common sense that the
    sources of the traffic should be investigated.