Re: Worm on 445/tcp?

From: Stephen J. Friedl (steveat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 17 2002 - 12:34:35 PST

    Scott A.McIntyre wrote:

    > It appears as though there's a high degree of randomness to the
    > destination IP addresses that are chosen by the worm as can be seen
    > from this 1 second snapshot:

    The scanning pattern *is* random, though with a twist. It uses the
    rand() function twice to create a random IP address, but this function
    only has 15 bits of pseudorandomness. The upshot is that the second and
    fourth octets of the IP address will always be in the range 0..127. So
    my IP at home (64.170.X.X) won't ever get any hits.

    Steve

    --
    Stephen J Friedl • Software Consultant • Tustin, CA •   +1 714 544-6561
    www.unixwiz.net  • I speak for me only •   KA8CMY   • steveat_private