Re: Rooted, .haos on system

From: Mattias Hedenskog (tsixlaat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 16 2002 - 12:51:17 PST

    Hey..
    From what I can see you've been rooted by this "group" called hoax. They
    probably just had some rootkit laying around. All very simple. But still you
    need to take to take action, my guess is that those guys aren't pros. Run
    chkrootkit (ftp://ftp.pangeia.com.br/pub/seg/pac/chkrootkit.tar.gz) for
    backdoors/infected binaries. and you really need to check your local
    security. I don't know what your situation is like but I would've shut down
    most of my services/users and start looking for backdoors/traces and such.
    Feel free to send me those tarballs if you want, I could browse em through
    quick.

    // Mattias Hedenskog

    > I've just received word that one of our customers was rooted, and he's
    > asking about the file ".haos".  Nothing rings any bells, has anyone heard
    > of it?

    >- This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS analyzer service.

    irc:tsixla@efnet,irscnet
    mail:tsixlaat_private
    http://tsixla.antisec.net