Re: Worm on 445/tcp?

From: Kyle Lai (aladin168at_private)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 13:06:28 PST

    www.klcconsulting.net
    www.kylelai.com

    Now the Anti-Virus community started seeing the impact of port 445
    viruses, but port 445 virus/Trojans had attacked several times prior to
    this incident, and many times, the Trojans generated DDos attack
    zombies...  It's sad that it has to take another virus to generate the
    awareness...  Lioten worm / virus is just another proof that port 445
    virus and trojans can be very wild, dangerous and effective in compromise
    systems.  They are hard to control because many corporate and home users
    do not set strong passwords on their systems.

    I am not sure what activities were on the log, but port 445 probing and
    attacks are not new at all.  You can see my Trojan Analysis on
    ocxdll.exe / taskmngr.exe (another port 445 mIRC Trojan that had swept the
    world several times) at
    http://www.klcconsulting.net/mIRC_Virus_Analysis.htm

    The SMB over TCP (port 445) Trojan I am familiar with are ocxdll.exe and
    its variants.  The first ocxdll.exe trojan came out around late August,
    2002, second wave was around middle to late October, 2002.  Each one of
    them infected a lot of systems around the world, and possibly tried to
    build a DDoS Zombies network for attacks.  Some of them were known to
    steal user account and password, and credit card info that saved on the
    computers.  Port 445 only effects Windows 2000 and XP, but what people
    don't really know is that when the a client is connecting to Windows 2000
    or XP shares (also Null Session), if port 445 is blocked on Windows 2000
    or XP, Windows tries port 139 as an alternate route.  If port 139 is
    blocked, then the SMB traffic can't get out.  This means port 445 and 139
    should be both blocked to effectively stop port 445 type of Trojans.  For
    more details on port 445, SMB over TCP, check
    http://ntsecurity.nu/papers/port445/

    Regarding to ocxdll.exe (taskmngr.exe), Microsoft posted a knowledge base
    article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q328691)
    but failed to discuss the port 445 impacts.  I did expressed my concern to
    one of the Microsoft PSS Security Analyst, the department that released
    the KB article, but Microsoft and other anti-virus companies didn't seem
    to worry about the impact of that Trojan and port 445 activities…  The
    ocxdll.exe Trojan from late August, 2002 only guessed 4 administrator
    accounts and passwords because it only has 4 entries in the "password
    dictionary" file that was part of the Trojan, and yet it got into large
    number of corporate and home systems.  There have been several variants
    out since, and the variants, as well as the Lioten worm, have a lot more
    entries more entries in the “password dictionary”, which mean more systems
    with weak passwords will be compromised.  I believe that this is not the
    end of the port 445 types of viruses..., it may be just the beginning
    because these type of viruses were effective and there are still a lot of
    weak systems out there.

    I have tracked several ocxdll.exe / taskmngr.exe variants from people that
    got infected (http://www.newbie.org/help/messages/2553.html), and I know
    this Trojan is still in the wild and infecting a lot of systems.

    Many analysts mentioned removing Null session connections on Windows 2000
    and XP systems to solve this type of attacks, but they probably should put
    a Bigger Warning about testing the removal of  Null session before moving
    into the production environment.  Many corporations are not ready to
    unplug the Null sessions due to the mix of Windows OS platforms.

    As we can see here, Port 445 viruses / Trojans / worms are wild,
    dangerous, and very effective in system compromises.  Not all port 445
    viruses are Lioten (Iraq oil) as you see; there are ocxdll.exe
    (taskmngr.exe) and others out there.  Hope the Windows 2000 and XP users
    can get the computer security message about harden their passwords, or get
    at least some message that someone could steal their credit card and
    personal info that's left on the computer if they don’t set hard-to-guess
    passwords on all their computer and web accounts.

    I hope “Internet Security” is not an Oxymoron.

    /Kyle

    Kyle Lai, CISSP, CISA
    KLC Consulting, Inc.
    617-921-5410