Re: Random unprivileged TCP ports below 5000 kind-of open for a fraction of a second

From: Fyodor (fyodorat_private)
Date: Tue Dec 24 2002 - 11:18:16 PST

    On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 09:33:59PM -0800, alfaentomega wrote:

    > I found out that by default nmap doesn't scan every
    > port (before that I thought every port is scanned
    > without explicite -p), so I ran "nmap -p1- localhost"
    > and every time I saw something betwen 0 and 3 (usually
    > there were 2) ports which were reported by nmap as
    > open, but during the scan there was "Strange read
    > error from 127.0.0.1 (104): Operation now in progress"
    > for every one of them.

    This may be a problem with your Linux kernel.  When Nmap (or many
    other applications, such as Telnet) does a connect() call, the OS is
    supposed to choose a good souce port to bind to for the connection.
    When you connect() to a ephemeral port (1024-4999 or so) on localhost,
    there is a chance that the system will decide to use as a source port
    the very port you are connecting to.  In a bizarre twist, the
    application then ends up "connecting to itself"!  I consider this to
    be a Linux kernel bug, but my reports to the linux-kernel list (and
    offers to fix the problem) have been unheeded.  Here is my first
    posting (from 1999):

    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=93598368005241&w=2

    So the short summary is that it is just a Linux bug which the
    developers argue is a feature that they don't intend to fix.
    I do have a workaround in place for Nmap versions released in the last
    two or three years -- what version of Nmap are you using and what are
    the exact command-line arguments?

    New versions of the Nmap Security Scanner can be found at
    http://www.insecure.org/nmap/

    Cheers,
    Fyodor