NC_S_ISLCK?

From: Shirley, Ed (thewthrmanat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 01 2003 - 08:30:30 PST

    I was hoping that this would be approved for the list
    as I get many emails from people who searched google
    and only hit on the question.  Below is the answer
    that I was sending out to people who asked me
    personally.

    Over the past 14 months, I received quite a few
    list regarding the addition of the NC_S_ISLCK group to
    my NT laptop.  The vast majority of these posts were
    from people like me, who have it and have no idea
    where it came from.  I did get a few replies that
    offered clues to its origin and I wanted to share them
    with you who, like me were/are clueless.

    The NC_S_SLCK group on my box had no members.  Some
    report that it is recreated if renamed or deleted.

    This was not limited to NT.  One of you has XP and
    several have Win2k.  I have finally updated my toolkit
    and am running Win2k with no appearance of the group
    thus far.  I looked at all the machines in our lab and
    none of them have the group except for 2 machines that
    have silent runner installed on them.  This was the
    full blown version and not just the collector (none of
    the collector-only machines had this group).  I also
    had installed a rapidly-expiring eval of SR on my NT
    laptop.  It's my bet that is where I got the group
    from, but you never know.  Silent Runner installs a
    couple services that took me a while to track down as
    well as Hummingbird Networking.

    Now, some stated that the group can come from other
    places, possibly.  You can check your affected boxes
    to see if anything correlates.

    Rational Development Suite
    Crystal Reports v. 8 professional
    Sygate Personal Firewall
    Transtext
    Netscape Avatar
    Ratheon Silent Runner

    Sorry it took me a year to get back to you.  I
    was waiting for a black helicopter story that never
    came.

    So, now, when people do a google search for NC_S_ISLCK
    , they'll get a hit on this instead of my post with no
    replies from last October.

    Ed Shirley