Re: Hacked web server

From: Ryan Yagatich (ryanyat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 17 2003 - 10:53:05 PST

    Hi all,
    	As the answer to this has already been mentioned (iis unicode), I
    will skip the details behind it. My question is actually related to a more
    broader topic.
    	This is a case where a party utilizes their firewall to keep their
    network secure, as well as applying Microsoft Service Packs to their
    systems behind it. The problem that I see with this is that many NT
    administrators that I come across all have the same notion in mind that as
    long as they apply the latest service pack to their systems, whether it be
    immediately after it comes out, or a day or so after, they believe that
    the system is declared secure.
    	As many people know, and many do not, Microsoft releases security
    bulletins regularly which patch vulnerabilities and the such. If the
    administrator is using Microsoft Windows 2000, XP (or maybe others by now)
    Microsoft has created the 'auto update' scheduler which runs regularly
    'behind the scenes' that the administrator can use to have it
    automatically apply these patches.
    	How is it that with services like this available that people are
    still not aware of them? Or, could it be that they are well aware of them
    but are falling victim to the notion that there really is no need for
    security in general, and that they are not at risk?
    	Then we have the firewall. Again, many people believe that a
    firewall alone protects their network. In some scenarios you have
    firewalls that are performing (e|in)gres filtering, and some that are just
    machines with NAT on them being called a firewall. What about the other
    elements of a firewall? What about proxying, IDS's, monitoring, and
    integrity? What about protecting the firewall itself?
    	So we have basically a world of technology where security is not
    really a big concern to many, which then introduces the fact that they are
    either uneducated or have insufficient funds to keep their systems secure.
    (yes there are more, but I'm just covering the basics here). So the next
    question is, how does the security community 'bridge the gap' between the
    people who are either uneducated enough or educated and not able to afford
    the security with that of a company/individual who is willing to 'make the
    sacrifice'?
    	From my experience, the only real time when someone is interested
    in the security, at least interested being willing to move forward, is if
    their systems are compromised either once or many times over. The other
    side of this is persistence, I worked with a company at one point where
    they swore up and down that their systems were secure, exactly by the
    method as the email snippet from below. Over time, I continued to persist
    and state that services packs and firewalls are not the only elements of
    security. What wound up happening? Eventually they gave in and said 'here,
    go ahead and try to prove us wrong', and sure enough 15 minutes later
    their primary web server was found to be vulnerable to several different
    vulnerabilities.
    	So, we have 2 scenarios where we can broadcast this information
    out, but since the world contains so many information systems that contain
    only the 'latest service pack', its almost overwhelming as to what to do
    to alert these people of the problems.
    	My final question now, is, how are we to really communicate with
    the rest of the world with information like what is mentioned above? There
    are many companies out there which have been trying to advertise this
    information out to the world, but they usually get the typical responses
    declining the services.
    	I am interested in hearing from both sides of this, from the sides
    of the people whom have had experience in dealing with this common
    scenario as well as those whom decline security services like IDSs and the
    such.

    Thanks,
    ,_____________________________________________________,
    \ Ryan Yagatich                     supportat_private \
    / Pantek Incorporated                  (877) LINUX-FIX /
    \ http://www.pantek.com/security        (440) 519-1802 \
    /       Are your networks secure? Are you certain?     /
    \___1E3695185FDAB9800641B94CC170FB8267C18DF695784F22___\

    On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Rogelio Vidaurri Courcelle wrote:

    >Hi... my web server (NT 4.0 SP6a) was hacked last friday, it has only
    >one NIC with a public IP
    >we have an OpenBSD Firewall (PF) that filters both incoming and
    >outcoming traffic.... this firewall has no ip addresses.....
    >external users have access to our web server only by port 80...
    >we had a popup window in our default page.... i dont know if that's why
    >he could hack our server.... i'm not an expert in these.. i'm a
    >begineer.....
    <SNIP>....