RE: mIRC Zombie, port 445

From: Michael LaSalvia (mikeat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 06:45:41 PST

    It looks like it can be either a xdcc bot or an ddos bot. Basically port 445
    is another netbios port used by windows 2000 and up. (not sure if the early
    o/s used it but from literature I read I don't think they do). It scans the
    systems with that port for the default Admin shares. Most of the times these
    shares of no password, default password or a easy password. The shares
    usually include IPC$ or C$, that it looks for. Although I seen others scan
    through the whole alphabet. To help stop the spread you should google
    "default admin shares" In there you will find the exact registry entry for
    the o/s you have. This will permantley remove the share.

    Hoped this helped.