Re: SQL Sapphire Worm Analysis

From: dr john halewood (johnat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 09:52:07 PST

    On Monday 27 January 2003 5:00 am, terry white wrote:
    > ... it seems to me, i've read that the M$ 'desktop engine' a.k.a. "DE" is
    > vulnerable to this exploit in some way.  in fact, it seems like the DE
    > was affected where MS-SQL not running ...

    MSDE is not only affected, but is, in a number of cases, installed when
    another MS (or third party) piece of software is installed. This includes
    things like Visual Studio .NET, Lyris Listserver and Visio (dunno why that
    thinks it needs MSDE but never mind). A list of apps that install/require
    MSDE is being maintained at www.sqlsecurity.com (although that site is pretty
    unresponsive at the moment)

    cheers
    john