Re: Packets from 255.255.255.255(80)

From: Guy Reisenauer (greisenat_private)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 12:27:04 PST

    I saw these packets as well, 814 of them over a 24 hour period starting
    on the 29th.  The inbound ACL on the Cisco stopped them.

    Jan 30 11:27:36 cahe-prosser 4951: 1w6d: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP: list 165
    denied tcp 255.255.255.255(80) -> aaa.www.xxx.yyy(27127), 1 packet

    You are right that they do not make sense. They hit the entire range of
    IP's in a fairly random order and random ports.  The old smurf style
    attacks used to take this form but targeted specific ports such as 19.

    Guy