Re: Packet from port 80 with spoofed microsoft.com ip

From: zmajd fully (istoleyourmonkeysat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 15:27:59 PST

    Hi Hulio,
    Thanks for your response and help both on and off list. I have been able
    to link the DDoS packet to MSDN. Apprantly it is back scatter from some
    sort of p2p worm/hydra. Back scatter happens when kiddiez on the mIRC want
    2 take over channels and they send the packets with the spoofed IP using some
    toolz like on www.rootshell.com or underground.org.

    At the moment the DDoS only affects windows/MSDN on intel, the solaris MSDN/sql
    server isn't affected, but apprantly a port is in the workz by some guys
    from #sage-au (./hack chanl) on oz.org. I got some packets in the IDS for
    the sparcs here last night, but SUN says they won't have a patch yet till
    they fix some bugs.

    I belive you can detect the attack with tcpdump or snoop, but u have
    2 be carefull cos the tpm/sage-au guys have a thing 2 make it crash and
    open other ports which could futher open u 2 DDoS attacks of this nature.

    Thanks Again.

    Alvin.
    Senior Network/Security Engineer.
    :: D i V E R S E - I N T E R N E T ::