Re: Speedera Ping, was "Packets from 255.255.255.255(80), etc."

From: Joe Stewart (jstewartat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 10:59:57 PST

    On Monday 03 February 2003 11:53 am, Neil Dickey wrote:
    > It is my understanding that "Speedera" is web service provider, and that
    > these pings can be used by large distributed websites to determine the most
    > efficient path from a webserver to a client, but that doesn't appear to be
    > the purpose here.  The target box is being used as a third-level DNS
    > server, and also hosts the namespace our PCs use.

    Speedera usually sends its probes to your nameservers instead of the end
    client. The reason for this is due to the way their load balancing works. In a
    typical session, your client would ask your local nameserver to resolve the
    address of a Speedera-hosted client site. Your nameserver then queries
    the root nameservers who point your nameserver at the authoritative Speedera
    nameservers. Your nameserver then queries Speedera's nameserver, which pings
    the IP address making the query (your nameserver) using their distributed
    back-end network. It then returns a DNS reply containing the IP address of
    the fastest cache for your location.

    -Joe

    --
    Joe Stewart, GCIH