RE: Packets from 255.255.255.255(80) (was: Packet from port 80 wi th spoofed microsoft.com ip)

From: Fitzgerald, John (John.Fitzgerald@petro-canada.com)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 01:44:38 PST

    I think the original post was related to a router on the customer side of
    the link ... although in either case, the addition of ACL as far as the ISP
    is concerned is an additional administrative burden.

    I wouldn't expect the ISP to provide this service for nothing - some ISPs
    will provide a firewalled service. You can combine this firewalled service
    with your own firewall to provide the layered security without having to
    purchase and manage an additional filtering router.

    Hopefully what you achieve (most suitable for a small shop) is  the
    two-brain rule (where at least two people are involved in a firewall change
    ... one to make the change on the in-house firewall and a different person
    to make the change at the ISP), hopefully, proper change control is required
    by the ISP (so there's an audit of any changes made).

    Even in some larger organisations you can often find that the perimeter
    security is purely in the hands of one person - they can mistakenly or
    maliciously open holes in the security.

    The benefit of having an additional in-house packet filter in a smaller
    organisation is tempered by the fact that this is likely to be managed by
    the same person (who may not be particularly expert in this area.)

    I've never heard of an ISP installing the firewall at their end of the link
    but this would be a clear benefit as the unwanted traffic would never get to
    use up precious customer bandwidth.

    Obviously there will be concerns at placing trust in a third party (although
    the customer does maintain their own firewall and, hopefully, some form of
    IDS ... or at least they monitor the firewall logs.) But it's not uncommon
    (particularly in larger organisations) for the whole infrastructure to be
    outsourced, including any security equipment.

    As I mention above, there may be benefits in using an ISP if they have
    significant firewall expertise (this depends on their size and the number of
    customers using the firewall service)... and as inferred in the response
    from Valdis - if the service can stop errant traffic using your bandwidth
    even better!

    Going back to the ISP supplied/managed router at the customer site ...
    although I wouldn't expect the ISP to provide customer supplied ACL (at no
    extra cost) I think it's reasonable to expect the ISP to install ACL to
    prevent the router itself being attacked.

    John