Re: email address probes

From: Kee Hinckley (nazgulat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 18:01:26 PST

    At 8:54 PM +0000 2/5/03, Andy Bastien wrote:
    >which we don't want to block.  I suppose that we could accept the
    >emails and dump them to /dev/null (or to some tarpit account so that
    >we can inspect them) instead of replying with a "550 User unknown,"
    >but I suspect that this could cause us more headaches in the future.
    >Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we could handle this
    >problem?

    The only solution I know of is to tarpit the server based on number
    of bounces.  The more it bounces, the more slowly you get around to
    handling responses from it.  I don't know of any off-the-shelf
    solutions that to do that though.  And furthermore, if you start
    doing it, they'll just start distributing the tests across different
    targets--so then you'll need a distributed tarpit database similar to
    the RBLs.
    --
    Kee Hinckley
    http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering