Re: Identity theft scam against eBay users

From: Patrick Bryant (piat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 10:56:24 PST

    Hello Nick,

    Federal law enforcement was notified by my firm yesterday, and provided with all of the information
    I have on the incident.

    I presume eBay's position will be that they are victims as well, which is understandable, and that
    they have no obligation to do anything (which may be true in a strictly legal sense). My personal
    opinion however is that this problem was exacerbated by eBay's past practice of sending out similar
    looking e-mails requesting users to connect to their site to update personal information. In my
    opinion, that practice is naive, and sets eBay users up for a scam such as has just occurred. A
    better practice would have been to simply prompt registered users to update their information
    whenever they (manually) initiated a new connection to the eBay web site -- rather than send out
    preemptive emails that gradually make users complacent about the email's authenticity and that
    have the potential to be spoofed. While I'm not casting blame at eBay, hopefully they will
    reconsider their own practice of prompting users to update their account information via email.

    I concur with your recommeded steps to shut down the site. The site that really needs to be shut
    down is the redirector.