Re: More /sumthin

From: D.C. van Moolenbroek (dc.van.moolenbroekat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 16:59:08 PST

    It's safe to assume that this "./openssl" is the openssl-too-open[1] mod_ssl
    exploit by Solar Eclipse. The "-a" switch is used to specify a target type.
    These target types are indeed listed by OS and apache version, not by
    OpenSSL version, because the exploit needs offset information for the
    specific target platform, for which the SSL version only is not sufficient.
    On the other hand, the combination of OS (or actually, distribution) and
    apache version is usually sufficient to guess the SSL version, although I
    don't know whether the exploit actually needs the exact SSL version number
    at all, in order to exploit it successfully.

    Anyway, the error text in the handle_timeout() function (I quote, "Fuck it.
    Next..."), and the fact that stderr is used for output throughout the whole
    program, suggest that this http version grabber is being used as part of
    some mass scanner, which of course explains why so many people have seen the
    /sumthin stuff in their logs.

    It looks like a very inefficient tool indeed, as it starts the exploit
    without doing a simple mod_ssl version check - especially considering the
    fact that mentioned exploit opens thirty connections to the target host by
    default, before even verifying that the target is vulnerable. Note, though,
    that the exploit terminates immediately if port 443 is not open; also, my
    guess is that the attacker or masshack program would have mass-synscanned
    for port 443 before actually trying to use this tool on potential targets.

    Regards,

    David

    [1] http://packetstormsecurity.org/0209-exploits/openssl-too-open.tar.gz