Re: Possible new backdoor: mspx-smss.exe ?

From: Sven Pechler (helpdeskat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 13:19:15 PST

    Hello,

    In the previous thread about this subject, I posted a list of files that
    were placed on a 'hacked' Windows 2000 computer in our network.
    Among these files were a wingate engine (mspx-smss.exe), a watchdog
    program to restart a service (mspx-sw.exe) and a very
    sophisticated 'stealth' program (mspxss.exe) that can hide processes and
    hide files in NTFS disks.
    The main purpose of these files is to create a proxy server that can be
    used by hackers for DDOS attacks or to obscure their original IP-address.

    I got a lot of reactions about these files. McAfee/Network Associates have
    named it: Backdoor-AQM and it will be included in their DAT-file: 4251.
    Kaspersky labs have sent me an analysis of the mspxss.exe file. They will
    include it also in their next update.

    I would thank all who helped me to get this mystery solved. For those who
    are also eager to analyse these files themselves, I've compiled some
    information and placed them on a web-page:

    A quick report I wrote (not quite plain HTML, because I used MS-Word):
    http://members.chello.nl/s.pechler/Backdoor_stealth_proxy_server.htm

    The files can be found in the following ZIP-file (password=infected):
    http://members.chello.nl/s.pechler/mspx-smss-trojan.zip

    Regards,

    Sven Pechler
    University of Technlogy Eindhoven
    Faculty of Technology Management

    <Pre>Lose another weekend managing your IDS?
    Take back your personal time.
    15-day free trial of StillSecure Border Guard.</Pre>
    <A href="http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure"> http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure </A>