worm/Trojans are taking advantage of default path of Windows

From: kyleat_private
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 19:35:10 PST

    This is a interesting discovery.  It might not be new to some of you, but I
    think it's worth mentioning.

    Base on my analysis on the recent worm/Trojan (IRC_SCREWZ), I have noticed
    that this worm/Trojan put a filename "EXPLORER.EXE" with no path information
    in a registry value under the registry key
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run."  As we
    all know, when we try to run a program without any path information, the
    system will try to use the %path% environment variable to locate the file
    specified.  Therefore, when the system starts, it will look for the file in
    "%windir%\system32" folder first, and "%windir%" second based on the default
    Windows path.  Since the legitimate Windows Explorer is located at
    "%windir%," the worm/Trojan file at "%windir%/system32" will get executed
    when system startup instead of the legitimate EXPLORER.EXE.

    The default Windows path on Windows 2000 and XP is:
    PATH=E:\WINNT\system32;E:\WINNT;E:\WINNT\System32\Wbem

    Actual registry value of IRC_SCREWZ worm/Trojan:
    "COM+Services" = "explorer.exe"

    Reference:
    mIRC worm/Trojan analysis: www.klcconsulting.net/mirc_virus_analysis.htm
    IRC_SCREWZ -
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=TROJ_FLOOD.B
    I.DR&VSect=T

    BTW, on March 8, 2003, I did a experiment to see how fast a Windows 2000
    Professional system (honeypot), having the "administrator" userID with no
    password,can get infected with IRC type of worms/Trojans on the Internet. I
    put the honeypot on a cable modem for 5 hours, and I was infected with 2 IRC
    worm/Trojans within this time.  They are identified as "IRC_SCREWZ" and
    "W32/Deloder.worm" by the Virus vendors.  If you are interested in the
    result of this experiment, the report will be available on  the KLC
    Consulting Website on March 11, 2003 at
    http://www.klcconsulting.net/irc_experiment1.htm

    Cheers,
    /Kyle