Tool announce : LogAgent 3.0 (Open source and Pro versions)

From: SecurIT Informatique Inc. (securitat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 13:41:42 PST

    Hello lists.  I tried to include relevant lists where this could be useful,
    please forgive me if I sent it where I shouldn't have.

    Tool Announce : LogAgent 3.0 Free (Open Source) and Pro

    LogAgent 3.0 is the latest version of my popular log monitoring tool, and
    also the first version available for commercial use.  I would like to think
    of LogAgent as the "Holy Grail of Windows logging", you tell me if I'm
    wrong.  With version 3.0, you now have the ability to monitor your Event
    Viewer logs in real-time just like any normal log file, and the data is
    sent in ASCII format to the central location(s) (local or remote) you
    specified.  Also new with this version, you can specify NULL directories
    for greater flexibility with the too's behavior, and output data can be
    sent to a printer (this is still considered beta, see documentation for
    more details).

    LogAgent 3.0 Pro sports the same features, but also take some steps to keep
    log filesize low enough to keep LogAgent performance optimal (flushed data
    is then kept in a backup-log file (.blg)), and offers complete Event Viewer
    log maintenance, in order to avoid omission of log entry or duplication of
    reporting the same event.  But the main feature of LogAgent 3.0 Pro is the
    ability to run as a Windows Service, hiding from view, making it ideal to
    run on your users desktop to monitor their local log files.

    LogAgent is also ideal for monitoring and centralizing ComLog log files.

    This tool is Open Source, and you can freely download the source code (Free
    version only), the binary and the documentation (all in 1 .zip file) from
    my website http://securit.iquebec.com.  LogAgent 3.0 Pro ships with a
    5-machines evaluation license (no time limit).

    Version History:
    Changes from version 3.0 Free to 3.0 Pro include:

    - ability to run LogAgent as a Windows service (no console), or as a normal
    program

    - complete management of monitored log files and Event Viewer logs,
    ensuring that all records are accounted for, for better performance and
    easier management (since no assumptions can be made of LogAgent's
    configuration, purged data is kept in a local back-up file with a .blg
    extension (for Backed-up LoG))

    - binary available for free, with a 5-users evaluation
    license.  Additionnal licenses can be purchased at my website
    http://securit.iquebec.com

    Changes from version 2.1 to 3.0 Free include:

    - ability to monitor the Event Viewer logs (always on) just like any normal
    ASCII log file

    - ability to send output to the printer (this feature is still considered
    beta, see Known Issues for more details)

    - ability to specify NULL directories in config.txt and mondir.txt, for a
    more flexible behavior

    - now reports it's own activity (Starting and Shutting down) in the Event
    Viewer, then reporter by LogAgent itself, making it possible to detect if
    it's been disabled on a computer, for example

    - configuration files are locked during execution

    - fixed the bug that made LogAgent react to changes made to binary files
    present in monitored directories

    - some minor bugs have been fixed

    - different installation procedure

    Changes from version 2.0 beta to 2.1 include:

    - you can specify filenames instead of simply its path, which allows for
    keeping track of linecount.  If you only wnat to specify a logfile path
    without the actual filename (which is how LogAgent used to work), simply
    put a *

    - keeping track of linecount allows to fix the line-drop problem previous
    versions encountered.  If the filename is omitted, linecount is still taken
    care of.  If lines are deleted from a file when it is being monitored,
    LogAgent will reset the linecount to 0 and redump the whole file.

    Changes from version 1.0 to 2.0 beta include:

    - the configuration is now independant of source-code (big
    improvement).  The configuration is now handled by two files, config.txt
    and mondir.txt

    - the programming style is procedural, so it makes it for simpler code to read

    - Lots of comments in the code to make it easier to understand how the
    program works

    - checks the config files for empty spaces, empty lines, bad characters,
    switch '/' to '\', ...

    - can have as many output directories (local or remote) as you want (one
    directory path per line in mondir.txt)

    - can have as many monitored directories (local) as you want, listed one
    directory path by line after the fourth line in config.txt

    - the ability to switch on and off the logging of the IP, hostname and
    username (first 3 lines of config.txt)

    - the ability to switch on and off the display of information on the
    console (the fourth line of config.txt)

    - using the SHOWCONSOLE option, you can actively keep an eye on the
    activity in your log files by monitoring your central log directory with
    LogAgent

    Adam Richard, aka Floydman
    SecurIT Informatique Inc.