Re: Trojan attacking our switches

From: dreamwvrat_private
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 09:03:56 PST

    On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 05:50:34PM -0800, Charles Polisher wrote:
    > Telnetting into our HP Procurve 2524 switch
    > shows an ongoing attempt to brute-force the
    > SNMP community (public, of course). HP apparently
    > does not provide a method for disbling SNMP, and
    > we're going to have to visit all 93 switches
    > in person to set a strong password -- yes, it had
    > been left blank!
    Well they might not need to try brute forcing your
    community strings since you did say you telneted over.
    That could easily produce a game over scenario.

    --
    /*  Security is a work in progress - dreamwvr                 */
    #

    <Pre>Lose another weekend managing your IDS?
    Take back your personal time.
    15-day free trial of StillSecure Border Guard.</Pre>
    <A href="http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure"> http://www.securityfocus.com/stillsecure </A>