Field Report: New Worm

From: falconat_private
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 05:01:22 PST

    Hello All,

    This is a follow-up to my previous email.  I believe
    this correlates with other reports that I saw earlier
    last night (but did not have time to read) about a
    possible new SQL Slammer Worm.

    I am now confirming which appears to be automated
    compromise of systems, possibly via SQL (3306), if my
    read is correct on traffic.  I have had 5 current RH8
    servers with mysql 3.23.56 compromised and 1 Cobalt
    Raq4 server with an older version of mysql (that had
    allegedly been removed).

    Tell-tale signs:
    1) Commands like "reboot" return "cussing" errors.
    2) Presence of /usr/share/locale/sk/.sk12 directory.
    Directory contains at lease executable "sk" and touched
    file ".sniffer".
    3) Infection traffic appears to be propogating over
    port 3306.  I haven't baselined this network, so that's
    my first inclination, though I also see some IPX
    traffic out there which doesn't belong.  The main
    reason I suspect a sql/mysql connection is because
    those servers running mysql appear to be the ones
    infected.

    PLEASE NOTE: chkrootkit DOES NOT DETECT this infection!

    I'll be happy to pull samples for anybody interested.
    There doesn't appear to be anything in the logs.  I'm
    in the process of imaging a couple disks for later
    review before I low-level and reinstall.  Would be nice
    to find a "fix" for this latest bug, however, before I
    get too far along with a rebuild.

    cheers,

    -ben

    Powerful Anti-Spam Management and More...
    SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
    viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
    critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-incidents