UDP scans from AOL NS boxes?

From: Mike Mills (mmillsat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 09:27:07 PST

    The machines listed below have been running UDP scans against our firewall
    for some time.  The scans really picked up on March 18th, but never got
    more than 20 a day or so.  These scans are apparently on random UDP ports,
    and from randomly selected machines in the list below.  If anyone is
    interested, I have all of the events this year in a spreadsheet.

    They are nearly unnoticeable when displayed by date and time, but become
    apparent when sorted by source IP.

    Has anyone else experienced scans like this from these boxes?

    I spoke to AOL, and they confirmed my beliefs and said that indeed people
    were bouncing off their servers looking for trojaned UDP ports.

     1) They are aware of it and we aren't the only one's who contacted them
    about it.

     2) They know that they can easily stop the behavior, but they won't
    pursue the issue unless we have suffered some kind of loss.

    152.163.159.225	rtc-ext1.ns.aol.com
    152.163.159.226	rtc-ext2.ns.aol.com
    152.163.159.227	rtc-ext3.ns.aol.com
    152.163.159.228	rtc-ext4.ns.aol.com
    152.163.159.229	rtc-ext5.ns.aol.com
    152.163.159.230	rtc-ext6.ns.aol.com
    205.188.157.225	dtc-ext1.ns.aol.com
    205.188.157.226	dtc-ext2.ns.aol.com
    205.188.157.227	dtc-ext3.ns.aol.com
    205.188.157.228	dtc-ext4.ns.aol.com
    205.188.157.230	dtc-ext6.ns.aol.com
    64.12.51.129	mtc-ext1.ns.aol.com
    64.12.51.130	mtc-ext2.ns.aol.com
    64.12.51.141	mtc-ext3.ns.aol.com
    64.12.51.142	mtc-ext4.ns.aol.com
    64.12.51.143	mtc-ext5.ns.aol.com
    64.12.51.144	mtc-ext6.ns.aol.com

    Powerful Anti-Spam Management and More...
    SurfControl E-mail Filter puts the brakes on spam,
    viruses and malicious code. Safeguard your business
    critical communications. Download a free 30-day trial:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-incidents