Re: Logon.dll? Possible root-kit?

From: Harlan Carvey (keydet89at_private)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 05:20:10 PST

    Nick,

    Couple of things...

    1.  The process that handles IIS is NOT "inetsrv",
    it's inetinfo.exe.

    2.  Did you check the file system to see if IIS really
    is installed?

    3.  Did you try pointing a browser (or even
    telnetting) to port 80 on the system to see what's
    running?

    4.  Did you run fport.exe from Foundstone?

    5.  I've checked several Win2K systems at work/home
    and haven't found logon.dll...can you zip up and send
    me a copy of this file, along with the EXE file that's
    accessing it, and any information regarding it's
    presence in the Registry?

    6.  You were pretty emphatic that the logon.dll file
    was not produced by Microsoft...how do you know this?

    7.  The IRC bot you found also requires an EXE file to
    access the DLL in some way...did you find any evidence
    of that?

    8.  If the client does not want to wipe/restore the
    system, then a comprehensive investigation of the
    system needs to be conducted.  I would strongly
    suggest collecting information on processes, installed
    services and drivers, network connections,
    process-to-port mappings, etc.  Once this information
    is collected, correlated and analyzied, you can put
    together a plan for not only getting the system into
    service, but also protecting it in the future.
    Another thing I'd strongly suggest looking at is the
    IIS logs (if IIS is installed), as well as any other
    available application logs.

    If you need any help or advice w/ this, please feel
    free to contact me.

    HTH,

    Harlan