Re: SMTP probes

From: Christine Kronberg (Christine_Kronbergat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2003 - 02:28:04 PDT

    On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Rich Puhek wrote:

    > Has anyone else noticed an upswing in port 25 probes over the last few days?
    >
    > I'm seeing fairly large quantities of connections to port 25 (on the
    > order of one every several seconds) with no real SMTP transations
    > (logged by sendmail as "... did not issue MAIL/XPN/VRFY/ETRN during
    > connection to MTA")

      I don't see any increase. This kind of connnection comes by
      each couple of days.

    > Perhaps somethings probing for servers vulnerable to the recent sendmail
    > problems?

      Bannergrabbing seems possible.

      Cheers,

                                                             Chris.

    --
    GeNUA mbH

    <b>
    Is SPAM over-loading your e-mail server, disk space or bandwidth?
    SurfControl E-Mail Filter is flexible, intelligent and policy-driven
    protection.
    http://www.securityfocus.com/SurfControl-incidents2
    Download your free fully functional
    trial, complete with 30-days of free technical support.
    Stop SPAM before it stops you.
    </b>