Re: Port 17300 probes?

From: Joris De Donder (jorisat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 11:38:55 PDT

    >if you have any
    >information on why this scanning is being seen in an increasing number,
    >that would be appreciated (the tool that does the scanning perhaps?)

    http://members.lycos.co.uk/ircspybot/

    From the readme.txt:

       "Date: 08:04:2003
       Fixed the kuang spreader

       Date: 05:04:2003
       Features:
       - HTTP server
       [...]
       - Port scanner
       - Syn flooder
       - Kuang2 and sub7 spreader
       [...]"

    Also last year (in august I think) a new client was released for the Kuang
    trojan.
    From a post on trojanforge.net:
       "This new client will allow you to scan for kuang servers and
       automatically update the server from a url that you specify. You can
       either use the built in scanner or load an external list of ip
       addresses."

    Joris

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
    world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
    Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
    The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
    sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
    ensure your place. http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-incidents