Re: Intresting problem concerning libresolv.so.2

From: Paul Gear (paulat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 18 2003 - 20:53:21 PDT

    Sam Evans wrote:

    >I've run into an interesting dilema with a machine that's running Solaris
    >8..  It would appear as if the /usr/lib/libresolv.so.2 file changed, but
    >didn't really change..
    >
    >What I mean is this..  We run Tripwire on this box, and Tripwire reported
    >that the hash sums were different than what it expected.  Everything else
    >was the same (timestamps, inode, block values, etc).  This would indicate
    >that the contents changed inside the file..
    >
    >What's also interesting is that this is the *only* file that was listed in
    >the tripwire report for the day.  Nothing else changed (at least according
    >to Tripwire).

    I've had this happen to me on Linux.  Only one file had changed, and the
    changes seemed to be random.  I compared the file with a known good copy
    and the changes certainly were not trojans or anything like that.  Most
    things worked, but occasionally i'd get freezing or crashes.

    I asked for suggestions on this list, and the main ones were faulty
    motherboard and/or RAM.  It turned out to be a failing disk in the
    software RAID set: when i removed the faulty disk from the RAID set,
    everything worked fine.  I had to work out which disk was bad through
    trial and error: i rebooted with one disk disconnected and tripwire
    didn't complain, and with the other one, tripwire found multiple bad
    checksums.

    I think it less likely that a Sun (presumably with SCSI disk?) would
    exhibit this behaviour without at least providing some clue in the
    hardware diagnostics, but it is possible.

    Paul

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
    world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
    Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
    The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
    sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
    ensure your place. http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-incidents