Re: Company being War Dialed

From: James.Phillipsat_private
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 10:15:40 PDT

    We've seen instances here with the symptoms you describe. In our case, it
    was a fax marketeer who was war dialing our entire prefix looking for fax
    machines.
    We used a machine with a modem & mgetty+sendfax to confirm by routing a
    number of unused voice lines to the box.

    james r phillips
    I/S Security  Compliance & Quality Assurance

                          "Fred Kreitzberg"
                          <paranoid_with_caus        To:       incidentsat_private
                          eat_private>                cc:
                                                     Subject:  Company being War Dialed
                          04/17/2003 06:13 PM

    The war dialing started last night and has continued throught the day.
    They are being very noisy, staying on the line with a steady beep, beep,
    beep long enough to leave a voice message.  The calling has occcured on two
    different prefixes so I am concerned my company is being targeted.

    Our local service provider's security and fraud team has not been able to
    identify a single source of the calls.

    We have recently done our own War-dail and feel we know all our modems are
    secured correctly.

    Any thoughts on additional steps I should be taking?

    thanks
    Phred
    http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
    world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
    Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
    The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
    sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to

    ensure your place. http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-incidents