RE: Company being War Dialed

From: nospamat_private
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 09:33:23 PDT

    Tracing is the incorrect term. What you meant to say was it would be more
    difficult to identify the source number. You dont trace a call with ANI.
    Alot of your ability to identify the source number is determined by what
    type of lines you own. PRI's provide source numbers using the d channel.
    T1's do not use a d-channel and you would need to rely on SMDR records,
    which is transfered after the call, analog doesnt pass the number (with
    the exception of Caller ID, which is useless. ANI is a service that can
    be requested to provide numbers when you normally dont have the
    capability to get them.
    Hope this helps clear up a few things.

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 James.Jacksonat_private wrote:

    > They may be calling through a provider that is not passing on the ANI
    > which would make tracing the call more difficult.
    >
    > James

    Travis Good, CISSP