Re: protocol watcher

From: Jose Nazario (joseat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 07:22:29 PDT

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Justin Pryzby wrote:

    > My question: does something like this exist?

    many years ago on an exposed mail server i ran i did kernel logging of tcp
    connections. "accepted" or "reject" with src ip and src port and dst port
    ... yeah, it ws useful but only when parsed. the trick is not in logging
    its in sifting through it to find interesting bits.

    i wound up writing some very convoluted awk/shell scripts to parse all of
    my logs and correlate data. however, it worked. i detected slow scans and
    all sorts of attempts before anything unwanted had happened.

    focus your efforts on data mining. generation is trivial in comparison.

    jose nazario, ph.d.			joseat_private
    					http://www.monkey.org/~jose/

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
    world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
    Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
    The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
    sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
    ensure your place. http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-incidents