Re: New attack or old Vulnerability Scanner?

From: Mark Embrich (mark_embrichat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 11:34:03 PDT

    Hello Jason,

    Thanks for your help.

    >Can you post (or provide a link) to the full tcpdump traces for this scan
    >pattern?  It might aid in the analysis.

    The full tcpdump trace is quite long, about 1.7MB per attack, so I can't
    post it here.  It would be a real pain-in-the-ass to sanitize it, so I
    don't really want to post or distribute it anyway.  If you really, really
    want to take a look at it, I can sanitize it and email it to you directly.

    >When you say TCP connect, I assume you mean that you saw a simple
    >connection to see if the port is listening (as accomplished with '$ nmap
    >-sT ...').  Or did you also see a HEAD or GET request to determine if
    this
    >was an IIS server?

    I mean a simple connection to the port, not a HEAD or GET.
    This attack didn't care that I was not running IIS.

    I also did not see a ping sweep prior to the attacks, although I only
    checked up to 2 hours earlier.

    Thank you,
    Mark Embrich

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
    world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
    Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
    The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
    sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
    ensure your place. http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-incidents