Re: DNS Injection Problem

From: David Conrad (david.conradat_private)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 17:22:49 PDT

    Hi,

    Unless the attacker has access to the wire DNS queries are going over,
    DNS cache poisoning is possible, albeit difficult to implement,
    particularly with BIND 9.2.2.

    If the attacker does have access to the wire (e.g., via a compromised
    host where they can run tcpdump or equivalent), DNS cache poisoning or
    cache impersonation becomes trivial (see
    http://freshmeat.net/projects/dnshijacker/).  If this is a possibility,
    might try moving your name server to a dedicated box on a dedicated
    switch port (if that is an option).

    Rgds,
    -drc