Re: DNS Injection Problem

From: Chip Mefford (cmeffordat_private)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 02:53:38 PDT

    Blade Runner wrote:

    > Hi list, I am facing a serious problem here. My client works as an ISP and
    > somebody is injecting  parameters in their DNS tables/files.

    This isn't very fun.

    > DNS Server: bind 9.2.2  # I am focusing my attention here, looking for
    > bugs.

    bind 9.2.2 is really pretty tight.

    Have you paid careful attention to the
    "allow-update" and "allow-transfer" parameters.

    Also, Some folks integrate Windows Active Directory
    with bind 9. I don't know anything about that, but
    it sounds really scary.

    > Here it goes a scanner showing my open ports.
    >
    > Port       State       Service
    > 21/tcp     open        ftp
    > 23/tcp     open        telnet

    You are running telnet. Lose it unless
    there is a REAL good reason for running it.

    > 25/tcp     open        smtp
    > 53/tcp     open        domain
    > 80/tcp     open        http
    > 110/tcp    open        pop-3
    > 113/tcp    open        auth
    > 143/tcp    open        imap2
    >

    > In this server we do not allow telnet/rsh or any shell connection.

    Yes you do.

    > Thanks a lot and sorry about my poor English

    Your english is just fine. Don't worry about it.

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
    world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
    Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
    The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
    sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
    ensure your place. http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-incidents