more iis-kabom Re: New attack or old Vulnerability Scanner?

From: Mark Embrich (mark_embrichat_private)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 15:49:48 PDT

    Received another of the iis-kabom type attacks.
    This one was slightly different in that the attacks came very slowly,
    about 2-4 minutes between attacks -- lasting 3 hours.  This time it came
    from what looks like an Israeli cable provider's pool.

    I did not receive all 65 attacks, it appears that some attacks were
    purposely removed -- like the "GET /adsamples/" requests.

    Also different was that the source port numbers were jumping all over the
    place.  Sometimes jumping a few hundred ports between attacks, sometimes
    the following attack had a lower port number (which I assume means the
    attacker sent so many packets that the source ports wrapped around).

    Therefore, it could be that this attacker targetted so many victims that
    he performed a DoS on himself, thus the 2-4 minutes between attacks.
    Otherwise, I don't know why they would slow down the attack -- it's not
    like a portscan.

    I don't need any responses, just letting you all know that this iis-kabom
    variant appears to be a work in progress.

    Thanks,
    Mark Embrich

    Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
    world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
    Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
    The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
    sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
    ensure your place. http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-incidents