RE: Folllow-up to the Hotmail/MSN password reset problems

From: Dowling, Gabrielle (dowlinggat_private)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 21:45:31 PDT

    What you are suggesting is significantly different from what our TAM told us today, which was that they don't have a way to detect compromised accounts (in response to my explicit question about that).  I believe they can only restore compromised accounts.

    Further, it was not generally described that email accounts could have been accessed through this vulnerability, but certainly they were exposed since the password is the same.

    The shutdown of the link prevents any new compromises, but I don't get how that is reason to shut down this thread.   This appears to be the most critical vulnerability in recent times, and appears to destroy any credibility in the passport initiative.

    Gaby