Re: Attack attempts from 195.86.128.45

From: Rune Kristian Viken (arcadeat_private)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 01:12:53 PDT

    Onsdag 7. mai 2003 19:05 skreiv abuseat_private:

    > Certainly not. It's as finely tuned as it can be. Finding open
    > proxies without portscans is impossible nowadays. Open proxies have
    > been found on close to 7,000 different ports ranging from 21 to
    > 65531. We do stop scanning when an open proxy port has been found
    > (we use 10,000 port increments, looking for a result after every
    > increment), but a full scan will be done before the IP is declared
    > 'clean' and then excluded for 3 months. If the full test cannot be
    > done, a weekly retest may occur (depending on whether there's a
    > trigger to start the test).
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=group:*abuse*+insubject:Additions/Delet
    >ions&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=Pine.WNT.4.53.0305070802250.-228138
    >505%40groaarrr.bengrimm.net&rnum=1
    >
    > Sorry if this bothers people, but we all know how much damage open
    > proxies cause, and looking at stats of our own
    > (http://basic.wirehub.nl/spamstats.html) and reports from countless
    > ISPs using proxies.blackholes.wirehub.net, we say there's no gain
    > without some pain. The fact that we found 140,000 open proxies (and
    > we're still adding 1000-3000 every single day with no indication
    > that that number will decrease anytime soon) in just a few months
    > should prove that point.

    This, quite frankly, is blatant abuse of other people's bandwidth.  If I
    read your post correctly, you're scanning _all ports_, 10.000 ports at a
    time.  60 bytes goes to the SYN, 60 bytes to the SYN/ACK, 52 more bytes to
    the ACK.  Then the actual data needed to be sent to determine wheter it is
    a socksproxy, wingate or whatever ... I'll guesstimate at least 100bytes
    more in each direction, plus the FIN/ACK packets, which means another 52
    bytes in each direction.  This means something in the range of 260bytes
    incoming per port.  260 * 10.000 = 260.000 bytes per 'increment' of your
    scan, per IP.

    Now, I used to have a 33k6bps always-on connection, with a /27 IP-range.
    This means your abusive scanning would waste 32*260.000 = 8.3MB for every
    'increment' of your scan.  If I still had that 33k6 connection, I would get
    3.5kb/s incoming ..  amounting to you wasting 40 minutes of my total
    bandwidth for every increment of your self-rightous scanning.

    This pain is not acceptable.

    Your scanning is quite frankly worse than most spammers - for a lot of
    people.  The argument for running blocklist is that spammers waste
    bandwidth.  You waste FAR more bandwidth for a lot of people.  This is a
    thypical example of the 'cure' *killing* the patient instead of helping.

    --
    Rune Kristian Viken