Trojan modifying ntdll.dll and cmd.exe

From: Eric Greenberg (ericat_private)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 14:33:20 PDT

    We have encountered a trojan that has modified both cmd.exe and
    ntdll.dll on a Windows 2000 machine.  The files failed our CRC check
    (TDS was used for this, these out of 29 CRC-checked files were flagged
    as modified and Windows also flagged it). It was installed on a well
    protected machine (behind a firewall, zone alarm, Norton anti-virus,
    locked-down) and believe the application installing it was either a
    vendor-installed  patch this morning (we have notified the vendor and
    are getting their feedback and verifying) or through a web-based IE
    exploit on a fully patched IE installation. No email attachments were
    opened on this machine, etc, that would have caused the infection Has
    anyone on this list encountered a trojan specifically targetting BOTH of
    these files? Clearly many target cmd.exe and both (cmd.exe and
    ntdll.dll) are great candidates for modification by a hacker. Cmd.exe
    has of course been swapped-out since the beginning of time. We'd like to
    learn more about the signature of this particular one.