New intrusion script?

From: Mark Bainter (mark-spamxat_private)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 15:53:29 PDT

    Today near the end of the day my inbox was suddenly
    flooded with messages from my log monitoring tool that
    monitors my error_log on the webserver.  At first I
    thought a new developer we setup today really goofed,
    but the ip address was wrong, as was the uris they were
    trying to hit.

    After going through a bunch I started seeing a pattern.
     All in all, I received almost 1500 hits in two
    minutes.  I don't know the full extent of the script as
    once I discovered it I put in a filter at the firewall
    to block his ip completely.  But that's how many he got in.

    The script appears to look for all the various
    application environments within the webserver
    directories (perl/php/frontpage/etc) as well as the
    popular appliations written with them (phpnuke, forums,
    CMS, etc).  It also looks for a bunch of scripts I
    recognize as backdoor type scripts I've read of in the
    past for getting information out,a s well as trying to
    pull things like the passwd file and win.ini and so on
    using relative paths.  It also tried the obvious buffer
    overflow attempts that IIS has fallen prey to, and
    checked for default.ida and similar items.

    When I dumped him I noticed he had already been blocked
    from a couple other nets it protects for portscans.

    perhaps this isn't a new script, but I've never seen
    anything like it on any of the other machines I
    administer.