Re: UDP/137 scans -- new worm?

From: Andrew Simmons (andrews@mis-cds.com)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 04:09:31 PDT

    David Gillett wrote:

    >   The number of machines probing every IP in our range
    > with UDP/137 seems to be up substantially today, to the
    > point where it's practically DoSsing some of our gateway
    > equipment.
    >
    >   These are not routine Windows/NetBIOS activity.  Although
    > the "Packet was broadcast" flag is set in the NetBIOS header,
    > they are in fact being sent unicast.  The source port in my
    > captured samples is always the same for any given source
    > address.
    >
    >   The FCS/Checksum is always wrong.  It seems to be random,
    > which argues for a tool that doesn't care about setting it
    > rather than that the address/etc has been spoofed.
    >
    >   Are other people seeing this?  Anyone know what's causing it?

    It's a few days since I checked the incidents.org charts
    ( http://isc.incidents.org/ ) but something unusual seems to be
    going on - unless the "others" definition includes IRC scanning
    from the Fizzer virus? They show port 139 (NetBIOS ssn) trending
    up, but no mention of 137.

    \a

    > David Gillett

    The information contained in this message or any of its attachments may be privileged and confidential and intended for the exclusive use of the addressee. If you are not the addressee any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other dissemination or use of this communications is strictly prohibited. The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual and not necessarily of MIS Corporate Defence Solutions Ltd. Any prices quoted are only valid if followed up by a formal written quote. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact our Security Manager on 44 (0) 1622 723410.