Update on BIND ns_resp.c crash

From: Gaby Vanhegan (gaby.vanheganat_private)
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 02:31:45 PDT

    Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this.

    I've updated one of the name servers to BIND 8.3.4, so we'll see if this is
    resilient to this problem.  I'm staying away from moving over to BIND 9 if
    possible.  Now I just have to wait and see if the attack will repeat this
    afternoon.  If  this is still a vulnerable system then it looks like we're
    making a rapid move over to tinydns.

    Looking at the vulnerability matrix at the bottom of the ISC/BIND security
    page it could have been the libbind resolver bug, the DOS bug (strongest
    candidate in my book) or the sigrec (not mentioned on the page?).  However,
    they all state that there is no known exploit for these vulns, so I think
    this may need updating.

    Gaby

    --
    GABY VANHEGAN, Web Developer
    gaby.vanheganat_private

    an agency called england
    marshall mill. marshall street. leeds LS11 9YJ
    t.0113 234 5600 f.0113 234 5601
    http://www.englandagency.com/

    This e-mail contains information that is confidential and may be
    Legally privileged. If  this e-mail has been addressed to you in
    error and you are not the person intended or authorised to receive
    it or a copy of it, please notify the sender as soon as possible.