RE: Possible Intrusion Attempt?

From: Whiteside, Larry [contractor] (BAE14at_private)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 12:30:59 PDT

    There are tons of ways this could be happening. If it is HTML email, then there could be all kinds of code embedded in that email to run upon opening. If you use preview pane, you don't even need to open it for the code to execute. It will run by being viewed in preview pane.

    I have not seen this specific thing, but many many like it. All someone has done is embed active x commands in the email. Upon opening they execute. It is not really hard to do. They are preying on the fact that you allow HTML email.

    my 2 cents:

    You should first stop allowing HTML email. That is one of the easiest ways for arbitrary code to be executed on your host. Then you should revamp your security program to teach your users not to open things from unknown sources. As long as you allow HTML email, you can be subject to this type of attack.

    The risk is if it actually is able to connect to a site and load a backdoor trojan. This is where the real headaches begin. If html email is necessary for business (not sure how), then you should look at some sort of HIDS (host IDS) or email proxy/gateway that would scan this before it hit the host. Not sure what your local policy is, but if the users don't have many/any rights to change their system, then a backdoor trojan would not be able to load because it is attempting to write using the current users rights.

    There are all types of scenarios that I could right up and speak about concerning this. Bottom line is that this is a problem that you should address quickly because you can be sure to receive more of these types of things because the offender in this case will more than likely post what they have done somewhere.

    Larry Whiteside Jr.
    Sr. Security Engineer